[Mediawiki-l] repeated spambot attacks

Andy Roberts aroberts at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 00:09:10 UTC 2005

Thanks for the prompt reply, Mike.

With your information  I googled for "defaultsettings.php"  and  found
it in the  'includes'  directory.   I then copied the line

$wgSysopRangeBans		= false; # Allow sysops to ban IP ranges

to my localsettings.php file and changed  false to true.

This then enabled me to block 69.50.0.0/16  which I hope will get me
over one longstanding and persistent problem.

I shall remain susbscribed to this helpful mailing list  in order to
keep up with developments in the forthcoming struggles against
spambots, particularly if some kind of  shared blacklist  or bot
detection strategy evolves.

Thanks again for the help.

Andy Roberts
http://blog.ultralab.net/~blogger/andy/