[Mediawiki-l] encrypt mySQL password?

Thomas Koll tomk32 at gmx.de
Fri Sep 2 17:45:45 UTC 2005

Am 02.09.2005 um 19:33 schrieb dug:

> I've noticed that the admin password to the mySQL db is included in
> plain
> text in the LocalSettings.php file in my Wiki directory, which is
> set to
> 755, readable and executable by the world. Am I being paranoid, or
> is this a
> slightly insecure situation?

That's normal with about every software running on a webserver.

> Can the password be encrypted, or is there some other security
> measure I
> should take?

Create a new mysql-user for the Mediawiki only or pu tthe
LocalSettings-php
in a path not accessible for the apache and make sure it's included
via php.
Advantage is that it's secure against a failure of php but honestly,
that happens
so seldom that it's not worth the work.

ciao, tom

--