[Mediawiki-l] Upload Problem

Con Rodi conrodi at vt.edu
Fri Sep 2 15:03:43 UTC 2005

I have seen this problem intermittently on several MediaWiki versions
(1.3.9, 1.4.2, 1.4.4) over the past six months.  I'm on a hosting
service that gives me no visibility or control of the various Apache
settings.

I did spend a half day trying to track this down and found out the
PHP session variables that hold the file parameters were not
persistent after the verification page.  The images were indeed being
uploaded to the server, but the session variables were lost.  In the
midst of my debugging, things suddenly started to work.  I reverted
back to the original PHP code and life was wonderful.  Since my
immediate task was to upload a large set of images, I pressed on with
that task instead of trying to figure out what was previously not
working.

I'm still perplexed.  Unless someone at my hosting service is
randomly flipping Apache parameters, I don't see why the
LimitRequestBody directive is a likely candidate.  Something related
to session management seems more suspect.

Con Rodi
Center for Human-Computer Interaction
Virginia Tech