[Mediawiki-l] Enhancement request/proposal

TEXTORIS Julien julien.textoris at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 20:10:24 UTC 2005

Sy wrote:

>On 8/30/05, Dave Brewster <dbrewster at guidewire.com> wrote:
>

>>We would like to be able to control permissions, specifically edit, of a
>>page per namespace.
>>

><snip>
>

>>Does this sound feasible and if so does it sound like something other
>>want?
>>

>I think a proper permissions concept would be a great leap in
>mediawiki's evolution.
>
>I, for one, can't see many places where I can't fit mediawiki in..
>except when it comes to private stuff   The lack of permissions
>eliminates many business uses.  I can't even put up my private notes..
>I have to use another tool, which saddens/sickens me.

Without talking only about privacy, some wikis could need a permission
system like that.

For example, we are thinking of making a wiki for publishing and share
scientific results. It's in its gestationnal step for now, but for
example, we discussed the fact that when a team will publish a result,
it should be that only authors from the team could modify it. If someone
would ask a complementary information, or ask for something else, we
think he could ask on the discussion page, and that the author would
then modify the page.

That's jsut an example to say that in my opinion too, it won't be bad
that such a system exist.

Julien