[Mediawiki-l] Categories defaulting to action=edit

Ira Goldstein igoldste at gw.neric.org
Thu Sep 1 12:02:58 UTC 2005

That didn't seem to do the trick (I had text on some of the categories).
 While the Special:Categories indicates if the category has text, by
being blue vs red (no, that is not a political statement), the category
link in the article remains red, pointing to the edit function.  The
problem does not differ if I just have text or if I put in the
[[Category:Parent cat]].

I'm fine with adding text.  Is there any way to have the articles
recognize that the category already has text?
--Ira

>>> hinandil at freespirits.org 08/31/05 3:13 PM >>>
> When an article includes a [[Category:Cat Name]], the Cat Name
category is created, but the link shows in red.  When one clicks on the
category it goes to
http://host.domain.org/index.php?title=Category:Cat_Name&action=edit
withthe Editing Category window open.

> The category tab is available, and if clicked on, the articles in the
category do show up alphabetically.

> Is there any way to make the default so that the contents of the
category show up and not the edit screen?

Yes, this is the normal behavior.  You must put content on the category

page to prevent this--the content shows up at the top and the
categorized articles underneath.  It's used to give a summary of what
sorts of articles one would find in the category.  Try using   (a

non-breaking space) if you don't want to write a description right
away.

Also, categorizing the category page (with [[Category:Parent cat]])
will
only display the article list but not give the edit page when users
click the link.

Hínandil