[Mediawiki-l] WikiFeeds - An Alternative Feed Generator for MediaWiki

Gregory Szorc gregory.szorc at case.edu
Sat Oct 29 21:15:36 UTC 2005

I just wrote an alternative syndicated feed generator for MediaWiki,
tentatively named WikiFeeds.

With WikiFeeds, you can view the following feeds:

*User watchlist (finally)
*New pages
*Recent page changes
*Newest articles by user
*Recent page changes by user
*Recent page changes in a category

The script has ATOM 1.0 and RSS2.0 output, although other outputs are
trivial to make.  I designed this script primarily for ATOM 1.0, so the
RSS2.0 mode isn't as mature, but whatever.

The code is located at
http://opensource.case.edu/svn/MediaWikiHacks/plugins/WikiFeeds/trunk/

I've also included a parser extension hook that allows you to embed
links to feeds made by this script in pages.  For example, a category
page will link to the recent category changes feed and a user page will
link to the recent user changes feed, etc.

This script could consume a large amount of resources, so if you want to
deploy this on a heavy-use site, I recommend integrating it with the
MediaWiki cache or with PEAR::Cache.

If you find any bugs with the software (I'm sure the SQL queries could
use some fine-tuning), please post them at
http://opensource.case.edu/projects/MediaWikiHacks/ .

Happy Syndicating,

Gregory Szorc
gregory.szorc at case.edu