[Mediawiki-l] Skins and Caching

Jonathan Streeter jonstreeter at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 27 00:41:22 UTC 2005

My last post returned a "The message's content type was not explicitly
allowed" message - so i am not sure if it came through. Here it is again.

________________________
Hello,

I am new to the list, and have been struggling to understand exactly how
mediawiki 1.5 handles skins.

At first i thought that if you modify the monobook.php and main.css files -
the changes would immediately be apparent on the website. so i went in and
changed those files - and nothing happened.  everything still looked exactly
as it did.

So then i thought - MEdiawiki has some awesome cacheing - i'll just disable
that and then it will work - so i added:

$wgCachePages = false;

to the localsettings file and tried again.  nothing. none of the changes i
make to the .php or the .css file have any effect on what is displayed.

I searched through the lists and found some references to the
MediaWiki:monobook.css page that is supposed to let you modify the look and
feel of the whole site.  But it is currently blank - i would have expected
that page to display the currently used style sheet....

help!  am i totally missing something?

-jon