[Mediawiki-l] alternatives to wiki for cross-indexing

=James Birkholz= jbirchwood at comcast.net
Sun Oct 23 03:41:25 UTC 2005

Ok, here's a different type of query.

I need to input a lot of unrelated text as paragraphs units (factoids) and
be able to easily tag keywords in the text and to tag portions of the text
with keywords. I've considered installing a local wiki and using the
linking to quickly create articles for each keyword and then using the
"What links here" to see what text references certain keywords in order to
build new text from the old, in different arrangements.

I don't do my own hosting, so I'm not anxious to spend a day or two
installing another wiki instance, and don't want to use my existing wiki
for the purpose.

There must be an easier way, does anyone know of one? I looked at the
indexing features in Microsoft Word, but that is more cumbersome, and
doesn't provide the convenience of hyperlinking. I might do it as a
database in Access, but creating the keywords would be a lot of extra
typing, unless I tag the original text and build some code to strip the
tags for final display. Or I could just use wiki tags, copy and paste the
final text to a temp wiki page, and then copy and "paste unformatted" to
strip the linking tags.... A database would have the advantage of being
able to flag portions of text as used so I don't duplicate...

James Birkholz
administrator (Betreuer der), Posen-EN mailing list & website
http://www.Posen-L.com & http://www.birchy.com/GenWiki