[Mediawiki-l] Category Browser/Editor and Search Widgets

Jonah Bossewitch mrenoch at phantomcynthetics.com
Thu Oct 20 02:21:09 UTC 2005

I just wanted to announce the release of two new widgets which make our
wikis run much smoother.

http://sourceforge.net/project/mediawiki-agora

The categoryeditor widget allows users to view the existing categories
while editing the page, and automatically inserts/removes the Category
tags into the text area when the add/remove buttons are clicked.

http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=130663&ssid=20074

The categorysearch special page allows users to query the db for any/all
articles associated with those categories.
http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=130663&ssid=20075

Neither of these widgets are very useful for the wikipedia itself, since
it has far to many categories, and the in-out widget does not currently
scale that well, but for small-medium size wikis we have found these
widgets to be very helpful.

Is the best place to announce this tool?

BTW - the mediawiki-agora is a sourceforge project modeled on the Plone
Collective.  It is intended as a repository for an assortment of useful
mw extensions that have no permanent home elsewhere.  If anyone else has
any projects they would like to throw in the mix, please contact me and
i will add you as a developer.

Enjoy,
/Jonah