[Mediawiki-l] which namespaces to use

Levi Waldron onemorenut at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 19:55:17 UTC 2005

I am setting up a mediawiki to use for 2 main purposes:

1. a wikipedia on a specialized topic (in community sustainable development)
2. a forum for public consultations, where information will be posted
and the public given a chance to provide feedback and hold discussions

Looking at how wikipedia.org is set up, I am wondering if I should
hold the wikipedia in the blank namespace and the public consultations
in the "portal" namespace?  Or will uneducated users forget to include
the "portal:" when creating new internal links in the consultations
area, so I should put both 1 and 2 in the blank namespace?  Or should
I create a new namespace, like "casestudy"?

Never having set up a wiki before, I'm just don't have an intuition on
how these decisions will turn out once many people are using the wiki,
and I suspect it could be very hard to change later.

Many thanks,
Levi