[Mediawiki-l] wiki Markup to open a link in a new window

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 13:05:43 UTC 2005

MediaWiki outputs XHTML markup for the browser. Under the new XHTML
specifications, opening a link in a new window isn't technically
possible, as the 'target' attribute (used to achieve this effect) is
no longer valid for the 'a' tag, i.e. the functionality is not valid
XHTML.

If you are permitting HTML (and are aware of the risks of this) then
the old HTML to do this would be:

Hope this is illuminating,

Rob Church