[Mediawiki-l] Error When Logging in regarding the Use of Cookies

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at uconn.edu
Fri Oct 14 12:58:58 UTC 2005

Ever since upgrading to 1.5RCx (and now also in the final release),
anytime a user logs into our Wiki they get the following error:

"This Wiki uses cookies to log in users. You have cookies disabled.
Please enable them and try again."

Even though the error displays, the user is actually logged in and can
make edits as normal. If the user doesn't look closely they can't tell
they are logged in and it's causing confusion.

I think this is the same issue as reported here:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wikiquote:Bug_reports#Login_cookie_problems

>From the site:
----
    Get this when logging into quote.wikipedia.org (wikiquote.org
doesn't have the problem):

        "The server tried to set an illegal cookie. The combination of
the server's hostname and the domain attribute for this cookie is not
acceptable, and the cookie has therefore been rejected".

    Apparently this:

        quotewikiSession=81834ae4168a83c2705eec57cbbeaa86; path=/;
domain=.wikiquote.org
----

It would seem that possibly this is related to some sort of hostname
rewrite or something similar? Can someone help me troubleshoot this?

I've temporarily disabled this error message by editing
SpecialUserLogin.php.

Regards,

Tony

_____
Tony Molloy
University of Connecticut Libraries
Staff Workstation Coordinator, Information Technology Services
tony.molloy at uconn.edu
860-486-4949