[Mediawiki-l] External Editor

David J. Biesack David.Biesack at sas.com
Thu Oct 13 15:11:16 UTC 2005

I'm trying to configure external editors as per [[m:Help:External editors]] and have downloaded the ee extension from http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/wikipedia/extensions/ee/ and I'm reading the install instructions at http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/wikipedia/extensions/ee/INSTALL?rev=1.1&view=markup

I'm running a Windows XP machine. When I go to my MediaWiki 1.5.0 site on our intranet and enable the external editor via my preferences, when I click an article's edit button (using Firefox 1.0.7), I am asked what I want to do with the downloaded file index.php.

I do not want to set up an automatic mime time for php files - that would be dangerous. How do I configure Firefox to present the application/x-external-editor mime type. There is a caveat in the install:

  Caveat: Versions of Firefox I've tested are very buggy when indicating the
  MIME type. It may be displayed as "PHP script" instead of
  application/x-external-editor -- it will still be correctly associated,
  though.

but I'm not convinced :-)

--
David J. Biesack     SAS Institute Inc.