[Mediawiki-l] Separate image server?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Oct 12 23:53:16 UTC 2005

Sy Ali wrote:
> Is it possible to perform some magic such that all images are
> automatically stored on a different server?
>
> I don't mean this as a backup tool, but so that an installation's
> pictures get served from an alternate (and unmetered, but slower)
> server.

To serve the files from a different HTTP server, you can set
$wgUploadPath with a complete URL (http://example.com/images).

To get the files over there, use a networked filesystem such as NFS.
(You might be able to use some kind of synchronization or caching copy
instead, but this can be harder to maintain without modifying the wiki
to send necessary updates when files change.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)