[Mediawiki-l] Use of Mediawiki inside a commercial company: licence fees?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Oct 12 20:50:58 UTC 2005

Kramer M., DP ITS, DTM, BN wrote:
> Dear mediawiki,
> I investigate mediwiki as a mean of communikation inside my company.
> Would I have to pay licence fees?

MediaWiki is free for any use, commercial or not. The license covers
redistribution and distribution of derivative works; see the file
COPYING in the distribution for the full license terms (GNU General
Public License, version 2.0)

In brief: if you redistribute MediaWiki itself you must offer the source
code as well (this is easy; you have to go out of your way to distribute
PHP programs without source code). If you modify MediaWiki and
distribute the modified version, you again must offer the complete
source code for your modified version. If you are simply running it on
your servers, and not distributing copies of the program, then you can
modify it as much as you like without having to show anyone your work.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)