[Mediawiki-l] 'Failed opening required' error

Kent S. Larsen II kent at lusobraz.com
Wed Oct 12 19:53:35 UTC 2005

OK, for some reason my wiki has changed from working normally to giving the
following error:

Fatal error: Failed opening required 'UtfNormalUtil.php'
(include_path='.:/***/Litdb:/***/Litdb/includes:/***/Litdb/languages') in
/***/Litdb/includes/normal/UtfNormal.php on line 36

*** -- base path to directory (Litdb) where wiki was installed

The only thing that I know changed was that my service provider reported
the following change at about the time things stopped working:

"Default group was over the domain quota. Set quota to unlimited."

Now that could be just a coincidence, but I don't understand what the
problem is or how to solve it.

I know it has something to do with the process of connecting to mysql
through php, but what is broken is beyond my knowledge.

I've not changed the software at all. I have tried the following:

1. reviewed permissions, ownership and groups of all wiki files -- all are
set to be the owner and group that are the same as other html files. The
files' permissions are also all set to 777

2. reviewed httpd.conf and php.ini -- the only recent change to these files
was in httpd.conf, and that change happened several days before the problem
occurred. The apache server was restarted several times during those days.

3. reviewed entries in LocalSettings.php that control access to mysql. The
user exists in the mysql database and that user's permissions seem to be
correct. The password appears to be correct also, as does the database name
and the host name ('localhost')

Don't know what else to check.

I have two other software packages that use php to connect to mysql. The
older of the two is working fine (don't know what to call it -- it is a
heavily modified commerce package that seems to be without name in the code.

The second, Drupal, I installed recently to allow me to host blogs. It was
also up and running and at about the same time, (I was trying to get it
configured properly) it also stopped working with errors that point to a
similar error.

If anyone has some insight into this problem, I would really appreciate it.

Kent