[Mediawiki-l] upgrading problem to 1.5 (latin-1)

Oliver Kuhl okuhl at netcologne.de
Tue Oct 11 05:44:15 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've got the same problems here.

Simon Wagner wrote:
> Hello,
> iv've tried to upgrade from 1.4.9to the new stable release 1.5.0. Unfortunately my page was in latin-1. This seems to get a problem now.
>
> I've tried to upgrade like described in UPGRADE:
> 1) run upgrade1_5.php
> 2) remove LocalSettings.php
> 3) install again with same settings
>
> ok, seemed everything to run well, but when i open my page now, there are some unknown characters (IE couldn't even show the page, i had to set it to another charset [was UTF-8 had t set it to westeuropean (Windows)]).
> Some pages even don't exist anymore (i think that comes from the diffrent charset cause all of these pages have something like äöü in their titles).

Did you find any solution?

To get the upgrade-skript to run, I had to upgrade my older
MySQL-Version 3.x to 4.1. Now I have latin1_swedish_ci as Collation in
all my tables, which doesn't seem to be alright. So I'm not sure in
which order I have to do what. There are some tasks that may be to do:

* change table collation to utf8_general_ci (is this
  the right collation?)
* run upgrade1_5.php with LocalSettings.php from v1.4
* run Webinstaller without LocalSettings.php

Any ideas?

Regards,
    Ollie.