[Mediawiki-l] Re: Image upload internal error

Matt Comstock mccomstock at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 00:33:42 UTC 2005

Thank you Arthur Guy and Rob Church for your replies!

Both replies suggested, in essence:
Browse to the images directory in Windows Explorer,
right-click, choose Properties, and locate the
Security properties. You need to grant read-write
access to IUSR_GUEST and IUSR_<name>, where <name> is
the local machine name.

I was using simple file sharing so I initially could
not set the security at this granular a level.  I
followed the directions at

to disable simple file sharing and allow an ACL or
access control list of users.  But then I couldn't
find the IUSR_etc user names in the list of users.

I dropped to the command line and used 'net user' to
list the users.  I found there the users
IUSR_computername and IWAM_computername (where
computername is my computer's name!).  A quick check
at
http://support.sas.com/rnd/itech/doc/admin/sasserver/comcdom/aspcom.html
suggested these were the users I needed to add to the
security settings as described.

I right-clicked the images directory selected 'sharing
and security' selected the security tab and clicked
the add button.  I typed in these user names, hit the
'check names' button, and ok.  Back in the security
tab I made sure only read and write were checked
'allow' for these two users.

I also could have searched for the user names after
clicking the add button, clicking advanced button,
clicking the find now button.

I am now able to upload images.

Thanks again for your help!

Matt