[Mediawiki-l] mediawiki 1.5: navigation is so difficult?

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 16:43:29 UTC 2005

On 27/11/05, n.milletti at indire.it <n.milletti at indire.it> wrote:
> Maybe is because I've changed some settings? (those indicated below)

Yes, you've disabled customising your interface.

> $wgUseDatabaseMessages = false; (otherwise I could not edit my language file)

The idea of the MediaWiki: namespace is to make it *easier* to
customise the interface, without the need to edit your language file.
If you set this variable back to true, you will find that visitting
the page [[Special:Allmessages]] displays all the interface elements
you can edit, and lets any user with "sysop" access edit them as
though they were wiki pages.

With this variable set to false, the software will ignore all pages in
the MediaWiki: namespace, and rely instead on the content of the PHP
files. Consequently, your sidebar will be constructed from a line in
LanguageIt.php beginning "'sidebar' =>" (I think). You can change it
there if you want to, but beware that if you ever upgrade, your
changes will probably be overwritten, since those files aren't really
designed to be customised in that way.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]