[Mediawiki-l] how to copy Special:Allmessages to another wiki

Jama Poulsen jama at debianlinux.net
Sun Nov 27 23:57:19 UTC 2005

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 10:06:32PM +0100, G.Bierens at fontys.nl wrote:
> I've been finetuning the systemmessages in one wiki, now I want to use them in another wiki which is on a different server. I tried using PHPmyAdmin to copy the table 'text' from one wiki to the other, but that does not seem to work. The 'text'-table is 4.2 Mb big, to big maybe or is this not the right way at all?
>
> Anybody knows how to solve this?

[I don't claim this will work, but its a start]

The system messages (in MW 1.5+) are stored in the "xx_page" table, and
cached as one blob in "xx_objectcache" (keyname: "yourwikiname:messages").

You'll need to extract all the rows for the Mediawiki namespace:

  SELECT *
  FROM `xx_text`
  WHERE `page_namespace` =8

Then you'll need to delete the pages in that namespace from the other DB,
and insert the exported pages (without having ID clashes).

Now you'll also need to remove the cached object and re-edit your
"Special:Allmessages" page, so the objectcache blob is restored.

And ofcourse before you start, make tested backups.

Jama Poulsen