[Mediawiki-l] Re: Templates in categories

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 16:59:00 UTC 2005

On 25/11/05, Paul Simmons <psimmons at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I am using templates for text reusability and simpler editing of small
> components in a larger page, and organisational flexability.
>
> or am I going about this wrong and should just have a single page for each item
> instead of a template?

I'm not suggesting what you're doing is "wrong", but did you realise
that something doesn't need to be in the Template: namespace to be
included as a template onto another page? You can actually include
*any* page with the same syntax, by giving the full name, with the one
exception of pages in the "main" namespace, which have no prefix -
because {{Foo}} defaults to {{Template:Foo}}, you have to use {{:Foo}}
with a leading colon.

It seems to me that this might remove the need for your hack, since
you can just not have the pages called Template: anything in the first
place!

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]