[Mediawiki-l] Uploaded file (media) icons

Hans Voss hans.voss at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 11:00:03 UTC 2005

Nick, there seem to be two ways to do this
1) The simple way (which does not always work) is:
* click on the icon to go to the description page
* replace content of the description page by a REDIRECT statement
2) The difficult way (which should always be able to work):
* See nl.wikipedia.org (main page) which in the middle has a list of
icons that redirect to the different portals.
* What they do is making a DIV that creates two layers. The bottom
layer contains the image, the top layer the link.
which would result in a template somewhat like this one (I call mine 'clicker')
{{{2}}}; overflow: hidden;">
2;">[[{{{1}}}|{{{2}}}]]</div>
{{{2}}}; top: -1px; left: -1px; z-index: 3;">[[{{{3}}}|___]]</div>
Which is called like this in a page:
{{clicker|Image:Calendar-week.gif|12px|Current events}}

Which means:
{{templatename|param1 = what to show|param2=size in pixels|param3=page
to link to}}

On 11/25/05, Nick Triantos <nick-gmane at triantos.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for advice about how to get a Media file (it's an MS Word
> doc) to have a Word icon to its left, that, when clicked upon, opens the
> word doc, rather than the Image page for that icon.
>
> I've tried nesting an [[Image:myicon.png]] as the caption for a Media
> file, but that doesn't work. I've also tried using
> [[Media:mywordfile.doc]] as the caption for the image, and that also
> didn't work.
>
> Any guidance welcome.
>
> Also, it might be nice to have another link type (maybe
> attachments, and then elsewhere in the doc, use something like
> [[Inline:Attachments]] or whatever to create a table of files with icon,
> filename, maybe file size, mod date, author, etc.
>
> If possible, please CC me in replies, I quickly fall behind on reading
> this thread.
>
> cheers,
> -Nick

----
Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards
Hans Voss