[Mediawiki-l] bug with "log in" and cookies and god-knows-what

Cyril Banderier Cyril.Banderier at lipn.univ-paris13.fr
Thu Nov 17 04:58:51 UTC 2005

( repost, I forgot important PS)

Hello here is now a real question for experts here :

STEP 1 :

I go with my browser to my mediawiki site on a debian machine, everything is fine.

STEP 2:

I go with the same browser to my mediawiki site (same options of installation) on a FreeBSD machine.
I click on "Create an account or log in"

login (I can choose any user, it will be the same problem)
password
I don't select "Remember me"

and then I got the error message   'nocookiesnew'  :
"The user account was created, but you are not logged in. {{SITENAME}} uses cookies to log in users. You have cookies disabled. Please en\
able them, then log in with your new username and password."

and accordingly, I'm not connected.

STEP 3

Now, i redo the same but I select "remember password (cookie)".

login (any user)
password
selecting "Remember me"

and then I got the same message error BUT
I'm in fact *connected* as my name appears in the topline (before "create a login...").

I can access to my preferences, if I save, no error message... but in fact it is not saved !

If I modify a page, I always get the "verify" error message in red (again and again) despite I click on "save".

STEP 4  (with same browser / same website on the  same freebsd computer )

Now, I dont "log in" but I edit directly any page
I modify and I save, and... this  works fine.

ARGGGGGG

Can you explain all these paradoxes ?

Best regards, Cyril.

PS: Some info for my freebsd computer :