[Mediawiki-l] change the an icon in the browser's address-line

Martin Jambon martin_jambon at emailuser.net
Mon Nov 14 04:29:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, judi chen wrote:

> Hi
> I want have an icon in the browser's address-line when
> my wiki site being accessed.  Just as the W icon when
> www. wikipedia.com being accessed.
>
> I did the following but won't work.
>
> I change the icon in browser's address-line?
> The wiki will output a <link> which references the
> traditional /favicon.ico, at the root URL path of your
> site. (Some browsers will look there even without the
> <link>, others require it.)
>
> If you want to use some other icon specifically for
> those browsers supporting it, you can change a bit in
> /includes/Skin.php. Change the line from 'href' =>
> '/favicon.ico' to 'href' =>
> '/var/www/wiki/skins/monobook/favicon.ico'.

I suppose you mean:
    '/skins/monobook/favicon.ico'

> Any suggestion?

I don't know, it works well for me, I simply made a 16x16 favicon.ico file
with gimp and put it at the root of the server (in your case it
looks like you should put it in /var/www/wiki/ or /var/www/).

Martin

--
Martin Jambon, PhD - http://martin.jambon.free.fr
Open Bioinformatics at http://wikiomics.org