[Mediawiki-l] moving database from server A to server B

judi chen judi_chen at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 12 00:23:24 UTC 2005

Hi Rob,

Here are the steps I followed,

1. dump db by using
mysqldump -u root -p --single-transaction mywikidb >
backup.sql

2. ftp the backup.sql over to box B with bin

3.  Create a database with the same name 'mywikidb' on
B.

 $ mysql -u root -p
  Enter root password: ****

  mysql> create database mywikidb;
  mysql> use mywikidb;

4. import database
mysql> source backup.sql;

5. Install MediaWiki as usual, but change the
database's name from the default 'wikidb' to
'mywikidb' MediaWiki will detect there is a
pre-existing database and try to upgrade it when
necessary.

Also, the language setting MUST be the same as the
original one!!

Pls help.
Thanks
jc