[Mediawiki-l] How to keep sync of data in different tables?

Mark Wang mark.wang at francetelecom.com.cn
Tue Nov 8 09:55:56 UTC 2005

Hello, all,

I am working on a "table and text" test! I have finished a big table
framework with Mediawiki, which almost contains 20 columns and 100 rows. At
the same time, there are 2 small tables which is the sub-table of the big
one, that is, the content of them are same but displayed in different
tables. During the process, I encounter some problems:
(1). Because the contents in tables are same, if I edit one cell of the big
table, I must change those in the small table to keep sync. Perhaps it is
very easy to forget to change them at the same time and to make mistakes.
(2). Because the table is so big that it is very for user to add or edit the
cell contents. So I plan to put an [edit] into each cell. When the user
pushes [edit], it will show a page containing the cell content to user to
edit. Just like the syntax in Mediawiki:
== Wiki ==
# Example 1
# Example 2

I have one idea to solve it: place the content of a cell in a single page,
and display the content of the page in the cell; which is like the
Document-View. I have searched the Mediawiki manual but couldn't find any
skill or method to solve this problem.

Have you ever encountered similar problems or had a solution? If so, could
you be so kind to tell me the solution?

Thanks in advance!!

Best Regards,
Mark