[Mediawiki-l] SpamBlacklist extension

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 09:16:48 UTC 2005

Hello
Having been hit quite badly by a spammer (bot?) similar to what others are
describing, I have tried to put some anti-spam measures in place, but I'm
getting confused with the SpamBlacklist extension (using with mediawiki
1.5.0). I got the files from cvs and put them in extensions/SpamBlacklist/,
then after having a tricky time getting the raw list from mediawiki (does it
still need to use a cron to fetch this, the "load_lists" file did not seem to
be in current cvs), I got the chonqued list as so:

  wget -O chongqed_blacklist_raw 'http://blacklist.chongqed.org'
  cut -d? -f3 chongqed_blacklist_raw > chongqed_blacklist

I then added the include for SmapBlacklist in Localsettings.php:

  require_once( "$IP/extensions/SpamBlacklist/SpamBlacklist.php" );
  $wgSpamBlacklistFiles = array(
        "$IP/extensions/SpamBlacklist/wikimedia_blacklist", // Wikimedia
        "$IP/extensions/SpamBlacklist/chongqed_blacklist"

//          database    title
//      "DB: wikidb My_spam_blacklist",
);

wikimedia_blacklist is a zero size file.

Now when I try to edit a page, I can add a pattern from the chonqued_blacklist
and still save the page with no warnings or blocks. Here is a section of the
tail of chonqued_blacklist (I have prepended "1" onto all urls):

  1zytemp\.com\.cn
  1zzdh\.com
  1zzdx\.com

This seems similar to the wikimedia format, but when I edit a page and add for
example http://1zzdx.com, the page saves fine. Am I missing something?
Thanks for any suggestions,