[Mediawiki-l] hosting company broke my wiki - (login / uploading and saving changes)

Darren Kruse darren.kruse at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 05:55:17 UTC 2005

I had a perfectly functioning wiki, happily making edits and uploading
stuff. All was good.
http://law.flindersclubs.asn.au/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Then *something* happened at the hosting company that has broken my wiki. :-(

1. To login, I now need to tick "Remember my password across
sessions.", otherwise it reverts to my IP address

2. When uploading, I get the red ; "Upload error. The file you
uploaded seems to be empty. This might be due to a typo in the file
name."

3. When I do make a change, and save changes, it's as if I hit the
preview button. The changes are *not* saved.

So essentially I'm stuck with a wiki stuck in time. A stiki-wiki

I'm running :
    MediaWiki (http://wikipedia.sf.net/): 1.4.9
    PHP (http://www.php.net/): 4.3.10 (cgi)   (output of php -i attached)
    MySQL (http://www.mysql.com/): 4.0.18-Max

I get valid cookies for :
PHPSESSID - expires at end of sesssion
Token, UserID and UserName - all expire in one month

The hosting company won't talk to me directly, and the intemediary is
not really helpful.
I do have SSH access, but with quite limited, non-root access.

My only clue is that this page
http://law.flindersclubs.asn.au/wiki/index.php?title=Photos

shows an incomplete thumbnail. The photos were all uploaded - these
uploads looks like the last thing that was done to the wiki just
before it broke.

So, I don't know if we hit a diskspace limit (I've been advised that
it's been increased anyway), and if that broke something, or if this
is co-incidence, and some underlying PHP, or Apache thing has changed
that has broken the wiki.

Any ideas gratefully received,
cheers,
darren.