image verification (was: Re: [Mediawiki-l] Deleting users.)

Jama Poulsen jama at debianlinux.net
Sun May 29 16:44:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 12:07:05PM -0400, Myria wrote:
> Any suggestions... Well, any suggestions short of filling the server room
> with C4, as I'm already contemplating that one, would be welcome...

Seeing all these complaints about wikibot spam and bogus accounts,
I'm considering using an image verification tool for the account
creation process on Wikicompany. Eg. using a short string of digits
in image form as acceptable proof of direct human interaction.

Has anyone already used an image verification tool with mediawiki?
If not, I'll try to setup something like like this, and hope it can be
made modular enough to be usable with a mediawiki configuration switch.

Then I'll ask for evil-bot detection and good-bot repair tools :)

Jama Poulsen