[Mediawiki-l] setting environmental variables for a wiki

Emma Gottesman emma.gottesman at sun.com
Fri May 27 14:02:06 UTC 2005

I'm trying to get the math formatting working on my wiki.  I've
installed OCaml and teTeX but I'm having problems with ImageMagick. I'm
running on Solaris 10.  The texconfig for the teTex installation works fine.

As part of the set-up I need to set the environmental variables
MAGICK_HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
I've got the following lines in /etc/profile
export MAGICK_HOME="/usr/local/ImageMagick-6.2.1"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/ImageMagick-6.2.1/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
and I've got them again in /.login and /.profile.

However, I'm getting the error
*Failed to parse (PNG conversion failed; check for correct installation
of latex, dvips, gs, and convert): \int_{s=a-1}^{b} f(s)\, ds \le
\sum_{i=a}^{b} f(i) \le \int_{s=a}^{b+1} f(s)\, ds*
on a sample math equation I've got.

How do I set an evironmental variable for the wiki? What user is it?  I
think it may be webservd:
(extract from /etc/passwd) **webservd:x:80:80:WebServer Reserved UID:/:
and that has no home directory or shell so I can't set it in ~/home.

Just in case it makes a difference the wiki is installed in
/var/apache2/htdocs/wiki. Also I've enabled $wgUseTeX in
LocalSettings.php and the make in /var/apache2/htdocs/wiki/math
generated no errors.

Help?
-- Emma

PS
I used symbolic links from /usr/local/bin instead of setting the PATH
for dvips, convert etc:
root[k)(sh]@sunray21#which latex
/usr/local/bin/latex
root[k)(sh]@sunray21#which dvips