[Mediawiki-l] automating SpamBlacklist updates for content banning

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Tue May 24 16:44:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 11:12:29PM -0700, Brion Vibber wrote:
> Pradeep Dsouza wrote:
> >I don't know whats going on but some worm or something is throwing junk on
> >my pages. Any one with a solution

> There's also the SpamBlocker extension which allows you to set up a
> blacklist of URLs. This is not really designed for distributed use yet
> however, and requires some hacking if you want to use our central list.
>
> See:
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/wikipedia/extensions/SpamBlacklist/README?rev=1.1&view=markup
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Thanks, Brion!  I've tried to clarify the references to this at

 http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Anti-spam_Features

In order to stay up-to-date with stuff newly added to

 http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Spam_blacklist

the use of cron is mentioned.  After getting an updated file, I assume
the mediawiki server has to be told about it.  What is the best way to
get it to incorporate the updated file?

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
Signed and/or sealed mail encouraged.  GPG/PGP Keyid: 2C9EBA60