[Mediawiki-l] My WIKI is being HIT!!!

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue May 24 06:12:29 UTC 2005

Pradeep Dsouza wrote:
> I don't know whats going on but some worm or something is throwing junk on
> my pages. Any one with a solution

If you're not running the current 1.4 stable release, I strongly
recommend that you upgrade.

With $wgEnableSorbs on, anonymous edits and account creations are
checked against the SORBS open proxy server blacklist. A quick spotcheck
of wikis sporting spam that's been recently complained about has shown
them to be either all or mostly running older versions (1.4.0 or 1.3.x)
that don't include support for this check, and the IP addresses of these
edits seem to be marked as open proxies by SORBS.

Of course if you serve a community in which open proxies are the norm
you may disable this protection.

There's also the SpamBlocker extension which allows you to set up a
blacklist of URLs. This is not really designed for distributed use yet
however, and requires some hacking if you want to use our central list.

See:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/wikipedia/extensions/SpamBlacklist/README?rev=1.1&view=markup

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)