[Mediawiki-l] Re: Single-equal-sign sections: not documented? working?

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Mon May 23 07:03:53 UTC 2005

"Lee Daniel Crocker" <lee at piclab.com> wrote in
message news:1116710842.11592.1.camel at shuttle.piclab.com...
> On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 14:16 -0500, Matt England wrote:
>
>> Before anyone on my site goes to do this, I ask:  are "=" sections bona
>> fide markup that will be supported in all future revisions?
>
> The syntax I'm working on eliminates them, but otherwise they
> are semantically equivalent to == sections.

Please don't do that, they happen to be very useful.

The particular instance which springs to mind is on talk pages for
templates, to demarcate between =Documentation= and =Discussion=. Because
the "Add a comment" function, available through the "+" button, adds
comments at the "==" level, it is handy to document the template at the
start of the talk page and insert "=Discussion=" after, so that further
comments fall properly into line.

The top-level header is a part of Mediawiki syntax, even if it is not used
in many places: please don't fiddle with it without considering all possible
consequences.
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]