[Mediawiki-l] problem with installation: upgrade mysql client

b h bobhumphrey22 at yahoo.com
Fri May 20 14:07:57 UTC 2005

Hi

I'm having trouble installing media wiki.  If I was to
guess, I think it has to do with it not being
compatible with the longer hashes used in new mysql
authentication

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/password-hashing.html

Here is my info:

PHP 5.0.2: ok
PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty
URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
Turck MMCache not installed, can't use object caching
functions
Couldn't find GD library or ImageMagick; image
thumbnailing disabled.
Installation directory: E:\www\htdocs\wiki
Script URI path: /wiki
Warning: $wgSecretKey key is insecure, generated with
mt_rand(). Consider changing it manually.
MySQL error 1251: Client does not support
authentication protocol requested by server; consider
upgrading MySQL client

and then further down the page it says could not
connect to database.

it's on win2000, but that might be irrelevant.  Since
this release (stable 1.4.4) was downloaded today, I
would think it would include the support.  I'm not
sure what else the problem could be.

here is a portion (edited for privacy and length)
mysql> select * from user;
+-----------+------+-------------------------------------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+
| Host      | User | Password
        | Select_priv | Insert_priv | Update_priv |
Delete_priv | Create_priv |
| localhost | root | *6MYLONGHASHVALUEISHERE | Y
    | Y           | Y           | Y           | Y

sorry if I've missed something simple.
any help appreciated.

thanks