[Mediawiki-l] Intranet Mac/PC compatibility problem

John Griffin jgriffin at genetargeting.com
Tue May 17 12:58:50 UTC 2005

I have a mediawiki running fine off of a flat panel iMac with Tiger (OS X
10.4) for my office to use as an intranet. There are two macs and about
fifteen or so PCs connected to the router/server which has a firewall
limiting outside access.

I can access the wiki from either PC or Mac using the IP address
(http://(my.ip.address.numbers)/~wiki/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page) or just
on either mac using the network address
(http://imac.local/~wiki/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page). Everything works
fantastically from both the mac the wiki is served from and also on the
other mac on the network. Almost everything seems to also work fine from the
PCs except for editing pages. Previewing works fine, and the edit itself
saves fine, but after hitting the submit button it displays the following:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be
experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser
settings.

I suspect it might have something to do with the fact that while browsing on
the mac using the IP address instead of the network address
(http://###.##.#.###/~wiki/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page instead of
http://imac.local/~wiki/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page), any link I hit will
continue to use the IP address except for when I hit the submit button on an
edit, then it will redirect back to the page I just edited, but using the
network address instead.

For example, I go to http://###.##.#.###/~wiki/mediawiki/index.php/Sandbox,
make a change, and hit submit. First it goes to
http://###.##.#.###/~wiki/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=submit,
then it redirects to http://imac.local/~wiki/mediawiki/index.php/Sandbox.

Any ideas?

John Griffin