[Mediawiki-l] Howto "Include" files from local webserver directory?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Sat May 14 14:33:40 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have large (eg, greater then 10MB, sometimes hundreds of MB) files that I
wish to put under MediaWiki's "control" in the /images directory and have
them accessible via [[Media:]] and [[Image:]] links.

However, rather then using the /wiki/Special:Upload mechanism, I'd much
rather upload using better upload mechanisms then just my web browser (like
sftp) because these other mechanisms have much better file-control (eg,
pause and resume), upload-status, and time-remaining-display
capabilities.  The pure-web-upload stuff has little if any display/control
for these things, and it's almost impossible to tell if the upload is working.

To this end, I'd like to be able to sftp upload to a local directory on my
web server (which I can do), and then point MediaWiki at a "local" file on
my (web) server and quickly import the file into "MediaWiki" control that way.

Is this possible?  How can I do this from a MediaWiki web page, or must I
go through some cmdline (on the server) interface (which is fine for now)?

Thanks for any help,
-Matt