[Mediawiki-l] RTL support in non-RTL Wikis

Aknin the.aknin at gmail.com
Fri May 13 05:18:32 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm running an English Wiki, which contains a few articles in which
the predominant language has right-to-left (RTL) directionality
(Hebrew).

I was unable to find an elegant solution to the problem of formatting
thesearticles, which should probably boil down to something along the
lines of having the "dir=rtl lang=he" attributes added automatically
to every paragraph element and every heading. I wouldn't like to hack
something that would add "lang=he dir=rtl" to the <html> element, as
that would ruin the layout of the rest of the page (like I said, most
of the Wiki is in English).

As I have wgRawHtml set in my Wiki (it's private) I tried adding
to no avail (it was overriden by the following elements, as the
document's default language was still English). The only solution so
far is to wrap *each* paragraph with <p dir=rtl>, which is unweildy
and  doesn't solve headings.

How should I go about doing this? Do you think coding a new Wiki
markup tag (#RTL, a la #REDIRECT) is the proper way?

Many thanks,
 - Aknin