[Mediawiki-l] Different "form" question

Carlton B carltonb at mindspring.com
Wed May 11 07:04:00 UTC 2005

This is a question of a different nature about "forms" and "templates"  I
could not find it in the FAQ, so I must be looking for the wrong sort of
answer.

What I want to do is create a non-transclusive template.  The MW "template"
concept is a transclusion, so that won't fit my requirement.  I am looking
to create a type of article template with certain pre-defined headers and
sub-headers that authors can choose for convenience.  To resort to an
analogy that is often abused in computing, let's call it a "car form."
Users can invoke a form with headings like "style", "history",
"specifications", "safety", and appropriate sub-headings.  Having invoked
the form to create a new article, they are completely free to customize in
whatever manner they believe suits the needs of the article.

What is this entity in MediaWiki and how do I go about employing it?

Thanks,
Carlton