[Mediawiki-l] disabling ip adress and talk function

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 14:26:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:07:56 +0200, startx <startx at plentyfact.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:40:10 -0800
> Paul Johnson <baloo at ursine.ca> wrote:
>
> > Removing anonymity of spammers is a good thing?  Did I miss something?
>
> spammers can also register.
> but leave it to people to decide if they want to
> keep anonymity could be a nice feature.
> or at least only displaying the adresses to the wikiadmin.
>
> using the ip adresses displayed in "recent changes" for attacs
> is as bad as spamming whitout registering.

The last "person' to spam my wiki did register.  It's actually more
annoying when they do register, since I needed to dig through my
apache log files to track down an ip address to block. I figure that
it's useless to block a spammer by name since they'll just re-register
under a different one.  It would actually be nice if mediawiki would
keep the ip address(es) used by 'registered' users as well. Perhaps
only visible to sysops.

I'd be very surprised if an internet attacker would use a recent
changes list to look for victims. In any case, taking the ability to
view ip addresses away from sysops would be a bad thing, and I'd
prefer it if ip addresses of registered users were also tracked so
that sysops could see them.