[Mediawiki-l] Tearing my hair out (what's left of it...)

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Tue Mar 29 03:57:28 UTC 2005

I was trying to set up a number of MediaWiki 1.4 sites. I'd written a
bash script that duplicates the folder hierarchy and creates hard links
to the files. I then remove LocalSettings.php, and run /wiki/config.

This worked for several websites, then refused to work on one. I kept
getting the message:
     * Script URI path: /wiki
     Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class namespace in
     /Users/xxx/Sites/yyy/wiki/includes/Namespace.php on line 52

Now the "yyy" directory, in the directory of user "xxx", was symlinked
into /Library/WebServer, which is the standard place on MacOS X. I went
up and down that symlinked path, looking for permission problems, and
found none.

But the problem wasn't in the symliked path! The home directory of user
"xxx" had somehow gotten perms of "-rwxr-x--x" -- there was no read
permission for others, which included the user "www" that Apache runs
under! User "xxx" and I had the same group, so I was able to go into
the directory with no problem.

I thought it a rather strange error message for a permission problem
several levels up!

:::: Sex is hereditary. If your parents never had it, chances are you
won’t either. -- Joseph Fischer
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>