[Mediawiki-l] disabling ip adress and talk function

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Tue Mar 29 00:38:56 UTC 2005

On 28 Mar 2005, at 16:25, startx wrote:

> many users do not like that there ip adress is shown in the public ...

I don't get it. You mean if they are in a public place, like a library,
or Internet café?

Or do you mean that their IP address is logged with things they write
on the Recent Changes page?

If the latter, the solution is simple: they create an account for
themselves.

If the former, I'd think of some polite way of saying, "get over it,"
after explaining that the IP address from a DHCP server is vaguely
anonymous at best, and the fixed IP address from a DNS server is a
matter of public record. What's the big deal?

:::: You can't solve a problem with the same kind of thinking that
created it in the first place. -- Albert Einstein
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>