[Mediawiki-l] Failed 1.4 upgrade (??)

Daniel K. DKml at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 28 19:54:41 UTC 2005

Today i tried to update to mediawiki 1.3.5 to version 1.4.0

I am afraid that the included instructions are at all not clear (for
someone whose native language is not English)

As far as I understand there is the Web installer, it doesn't say; but
that would mean installing everything from the bottom up, risking to
loose everything if a contradicting answer is given?

So I decided to take option 2: Command line upgrade.
Here my english failes: 'Additionally' does that mean you have to run
the Web-installer AND the command line upgrade? Or is the command line
script an additional option ('Additionally you *can* run...)?? Or can
you just run the update script???
Then I spent a *long* time looking for the correct syntax of
AdminSettings.php, until I noticed I had to copy AdminSettings.sample
and edit it. It is not written in the UPGRADE, perhaps I am stupid and
should have known!

So I decided t just run the command mode script, edited
AdminSettings.php, and then I got the output:

 > php update.php

No input file specified.

And when I point my browser to the new install I get a blank screen...

Can somebody tell me what I have done wrong, and moreover: what I should
have done? And then please no more guesses, just a cookbook recipe how
to upgrade 1.3.5 to 1.4.0

Thanks!
Daniel