[Mediawiki-l] Import/export Word/.pdf/.xml files to/from MediaWiki pages?

Matthew England mengland at mengland.net
Mon Mar 28 04:47:40 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm new to MediaWiki.  I'd like users to be able to Import/export
Word/.pdf/.xml files to/from MediaWiki pages.  Is this feasible?

If not MediaWiki, would other Wikis be able to do this?

=========
More details:
=========

I'm leading a small software-development team as part of a private,
startup-business effort.  I am attracted to Wiki mechanisms for their
apparent collaborative-documentation capability.  I want to load a Wiki on
my private, collaboration-development server (I have many other server apps
already like phpBB, Subversion/CVS, Apache, etc).

Imports
----------

In order to make new-user adoption and general use much easier, it would be
fantastic if authors can write in a known, understood format (namely
Microsoft Word) and then import the created file into the Wiki page.

The following thread suggests that this import capability is not yet available:

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2005-March/003978.html

Am I reading things correctly?

Here's a tool that may or may not help:

These (google cached) links point towards a small tool to convert Word to a
MediaWiki format:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:4F7DBOsC9LQJ:infpro.com/projekte/wordwiki/+microsoft+word+mediawiki&hl=en
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:g1yitISrOTMJ:infpro.com/projekte/wordwiki/Word2MediaWiki.bas+Word2MediaWiki&hl=en

I've also attached the tool and description in a .zip file attached to this
email...but I'm not sure if MediaWiki-l supports file attachments.  I have
tried neither this tool nor MediaWiki...so take this for what it's worth.

Exports
---------

As for the exports, the above email thread suggests that this capability
(I'm presuming output to all of Word, .pdf, and .xml?) is mature?  Exports
are important for document-snapshot archiving and for content distribution
to readers (like an external review board, our target customers, etc) who
do not have access to my collaboration site.

I'd to confirm all these things before I go through and install the software.

-Matt

ps:

The page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki_software

When choosing a wiki engine, criteria to consider might include:

"Be able to import external files (HTML, Word document), export to external
files (Word document, PDF)"

I was hoping that MediaWiki could do all of this, particularly it light of
its glowing review at:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/11/04/which_wiki.html

-Matt