[Mediawiki-l] Import Utilities?

John Blumel johnblumel at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 25 04:00:46 UTC 2005

I'm working with a group to set up a new MediaWiki based wiki using
either v1.3.11 or v1.4.0 and there are currently a number of resources
either scattered around the web or on our existing web site that we'd
like to add to the wiki.

Some of these resources are glossary type content with, for example,
definitions of non-English words and phrases, jargon, and archaic
terms. The way we would like to add them is to create a separate entry
(article) for each term/phrase, using information embedded in the
current HTML documents to organize them by categories in the wiki. This
will allow people to go directly to the word or phrase by entering it
in the search box or to browse them through the different categories.

However, the number of articles that would need to be created for this
is fairly large and there's always the possibility of human error
messing up some of the entries if we do it manually. I was hoping that
we could automatically load these as entries, either directly into the
MySQL database or by programmatically feeding the web interface.

Obviously, we would need to parse the current HTML files and probably
convert the entries into wiki text but, assuming that won't be a
problem to accomplish, are there any utilities available that would
allow us to automate the process of importing this information?

John Blumel