[Mediawiki-l] mod_rewrite again

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Mar 23 22:40:19 UTC 2005

Rick DeNatale wrote:
> Okay, although I don't have any loop. Just so I understand you are
> suggesting that since the wiki is installed at .../wiki I should use
> urls of the form .../w/PageTitle and rewrite them to
> .../wiki/index.php/PageTitle

You could if you want. On Wikipedia we have /w/index.php and /wiki/Foo.

> I'm just getting a 404 Object Not Found http reply and the error log
> has an entry
> File does not exist: /var/www/html/wiki/index.php/Astronaut:John_Glenn
>
> where Astronaut:John Glenn is the article title.
> http://www.denhaven2.homeip.net/wiki/index.php?Astronaut:John Glenn works fine.
[snip]
> Pointing my web browser to this (via Apache) reports:
>
> sapi name is apache2filter

apache2filter doesn't allow you to use the PATH_INFO extra information
(eg index.php/Foo). If you try, you get a 404 error.

> And this seems to turn off pretty URLS. Is this a difference between
> 1.3 and 1.4?

No, nothing's changed wrt that. That wouldn't have worked in 1.3 or 1.2
either with apache2filter.

> Is this something which I can change? I know very little about configuring PHP.

Reinstall PHP with apache2handler selected as the SAPI if you want
index.php/Foo to work. See PHP documentation on configuring and
compiling PHP.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)