[Mediawiki-l] mod_rewrite again

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Mar 23 21:10:32 UTC 2005

Rick DeNatale wrote:
> I've set up rewrite rules for the wiki directory, and It looks like
> the rewriting of a url like
>
> http://www.mydomainname/wiki/Frodo
> http://www.mydomainname/wiki/index.php/Frodo

That's a bad idea; covering the real wiki files with a virtual rewrite
area usually leads to conflicts and loops. You should *always* keep the
rewrite areas at separate locations from your real files (for instance
we have /wiki and /w on Wikipedia).

> is working but then the url itself isn't being properly processed.  As
> I say, before I upgraded to 1.4.0 manual use of the resulting url used
> to work.

Can you describe what's going wrong? Is there an error message? Wrong
page? Failure to load? Anything in the error logs?

> Yesterday, I couldn't get the alternative of rewriting to
>
> http://www.mydomainname/wiki/index.php?Frodo

This would never work. Try: index.php?title=Frodo

> Anyway, any ideas why the index.php/articlename form used to work in
> 1.3 and doesn't in 1.4?

Did you change your PHP installation from the apache 1.x module or
apache2handler module to CGI, FastCGI, or apache2filter?

Can you confirm that you don't have some other problem?

Have you made sure that you're not rewriting the skin files into wiki
pages or some other problem?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)