[Mediawiki-l] mod_rewrite again

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Wed Mar 23 21:05:24 UTC 2005

On 23 Mar 2005, at 12:38, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> Add me to the list of folks pulling their hair out trying to get
> prettier urls to work with mediawiki.

I'm assuming you're using Apache, and have access to at least an
included portion of httpd.conf.

Have you tried using Alias instead of RewriteRule?

I tried both under 1.4b5, and found Alias was slightly faster, and MUCH
easier to understand. The RewriteRule technique may have some advantage
I don't understand, which probably means I don't need it!

I have not tried it under 1.4 yet. I had to disable it in order to get
at the config directory -- another good thing about pretty URLs. (And
also, it's more likely to get crawled -- a mixed blessing.)

:::: We're in a giant car heading toward a brick wall at a hundred
miles an hour, arguing over who has the best seat. -- David Suzuki
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Van>