[Mediawiki-l] Re: MediaWiki-l Digest, Vol 18, Issue 33

Alexander Nofftz alexander at nofftz.name
Mon Mar 21 21:35:37 UTC 2005

Hi!

Am 2005-03-21 schrieb mediawiki-l-request at Wikimedia.org:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:59:52 +0100, Oliver Kuhl <okuhl at netcologne.de> wrote:
>
> > I upgraded to 1.4 right now and so far it works fine. But I have problem
> > with dates. As you can see in the attachement, though "Feb" is displayed
> > correctly there seems to be a problem with march, which is "M?rz" in
> > german. It is simply displayed as "M?2005" - even in html-source.
>
> Could this be a corruption in the LanguageDe.php file (look in the
> 'languages' sub-dir), or (less likely given that articles are OK) in a
> [[MediaWiki: ...]] page (look at [[Special:Allmessages]])? I know
> people before (particularly on Macs) have had problems with their FTP
> programs downloading things in "text mode" and mangling anything
> UTF-8.
>
> I think this could well result in that behaviour, because a bad byte
> in a multibyte encoding can easily cause the browser to treat several
> characters as part of the same one, which will then likely be
> unavailable in any installed font ("?" misrendered as Chinese does
> that to me all the time; irritating as hell if you're trying to look
> at UK shopping sites!)

I can approve this. I'm still using Latin1 in my wiki, so I thought that
was the problem, but converting the LanguageDe.php to ISO-8859-1 didn't
helped. I finally fixed it by replacing ä by &auml;.

However this seems to be a bug since there is the correct spelling in
the MediaWiki namespace.

Regards,
  Alex

--
Alexander Nofftz, Leverkusen, Germany, EU, Terra, Solar System
Alexander at Nofftz.name --- http://www.AlexNofftz.de/