[Mediawiki-l] exporting content ?

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 16:13:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:50:59 +0100, Gerhard Wendebourg <gw at web-hh.de> wrote:

> since I installed and try a new Wiki-System (V.1 .4.0) there remains one
> question:
> which way to export articles or other content out of the system ?

There are a number of options, depending on your exact needs.

1) use the Special:Export page to generate either the current version
or history of one or many pages, wrapped in some XML with things like
title, timestamp, etc

2) add "?action=raw" (or "&action=raw", if it's already a "?..." type
URL) to the URL of a page to return the raw wikitext of that page
(with a "text/x-wikimarkup" content type to avoid IE sniffing for
HTML)

3) use an appropriate MySQL utility to dump or examine the 'cur'
and/or 'old' tables - the latest revision of each article is stored in
'cur', and all others in 'old' (this will change in 1.5, but you don't
need to worry about that). Note that the namespace is stored
numerically in a seperate field, so an entry with cur_namespace=0 and
cur_title='Foo' is the page [[Foo]], while that with cur_namespace=1
and cur_title='Foo' is [[Talk:Foo]] (see "includes/Defines.php" for
the full list). The rest of the structure is probably self-explanatory
give or take a bit of experimentation.

+) For more complex interactions, see the "Python Wikipedia Robot
Framework", at http://pywikipediabot.sf.net

++) And, seeing as you said "or other content", Special:Recentchanges,
Special:Newpages, and possibly others, have RSS and Atom feeds (see
links in the "toolbox")

HTH
--
Rowan Collins BSc