[Mediawiki-l] Text Flowing Around Graphviz Diagrams

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Sun Mar 20 19:12:53 UTC 2005

I've updated my Graphviz extension hacks. It now includes two new entry
points that cause an image to be text flowed left or right without
using tables. See the Annotated examples at the link below. (The text
flow example is the last one on that page.)

I wanted to use other layout engines besides dot(1), so I hacked
Graphviz.php to allow a Unix-style interpreter specification for the
other rendering engines in Graphviz. This is backwards compatible
(since it is a legal dot comment) and avoids coming up with new syntax.

The interpreter spec must immediately follow the opening tag:
"<graphviz>#!/sw/bin/neato" for example. I explicitly check for allowed
rendering engines to avoid script injection security issues.

Extension at: <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/InfoArk/Graphviz.php.gz>

Annotated examples at: <http://www.IslandSeeds.org/wiki/Test:Graphviz>

Enjoy!

PS: It would be nice to have "out of band" communications with
extensions, like <graphviz engine="neato">. It could simply bundle up
everything it finds in the tag into an associative array. This would be
very useful (for example) in text-wrapping, since so many extensions
seem to generate images. (<graphviz style="float:right">, for example)

::::  We will see in some subsequent charts that we probably have
reached peak oil. -- US Congressman Roscoe Bartlett, in presentation to
the US Congress, 15 March 2005
:::: Jan Steinman "http://www.IslandSeeds.org"